|The beautiful altar at Sts. Peter & Paul Parish, which was blessed on October 31, 2007.|
The frontage was sparse in its ornamentation, and its door was made of unadorned thick hard wood that had an iron bolt. But on each side was a gargoyle-like figure that guarded the entrance, carved from stone. Above the door just below the roof were three stone cherubs. To the left side of the entrance was the belfry. The windows had stained glass of different colors. Church benches were donated by Ormocanon families, in diverse designs, their names carved into each bench.
To the right of the entrance was the rectory that housed the priests. It was made of wood and roofed with nipa at the turn of the 20th century until the outbreak of the war. A circular stone structure served as the kitchen. This is now where the grotto stands. At its side was a well that provided safe drinking water. It also served as the starting point to measure distance as Km “0”.
The present rectory used to be a convent of the German Benedictine sisters in the early 1930 before they were able to build their own residence at the present SPC site. When Fr. Ismael Cataag became parish priest, he donated his family’s property for the sisters to build their convent and to continue to administer the parish school which Fr. Cataag himself founded in 1914.
All of these structures were surrounded by a stone wall designed to protect the church and rectory from moro depredations.
But the second world was shattered all that. In November 1944, the Americans rained bombs on the city, hitting the church and surrounding structures, apparently mistaking it for the Japanese hospital. What remained of the beautiful stone church was the front were the altar was located. Precious church documents that detailed the births, marriages and deaths of Ormocanons likewise perished.
The priests assigned here after the war took it upon themselves to rebuild the church and the rectory, year after year, initiating fund raising activities locally and soliciting from other external sources. Since then, the church always seemed to be a work in progress as each new parish priest introduced improvements. Source
|SPPP at night. Photo taken during the festive Christmas season.|
|The church's golden main altar and beautifully-painted interior add to its overall appeal that draws more churchgoers and devotees.|
|Photo credit to http://sppormoc.blogspot.com|
... that Ormoc City celebrates its annual Fiesta in honor of Sts. Peter & Paul on June 28-29?
STS. PETER & PAUL PARISH, Founded: 1630
Aviles Street, Ormoc City, 6541, Leyte Philippines
Tel. (053) 255-2282 / 561-8702
Fax (053) 255-4871
Rev. Fr. Gilbert G. Urbina, SLL, SThD
Rev. Fr. Raymund N. Mazo
Rev. Fr. Dennis Molabola
Rev. Fr. Irwin Gavilo
Rev. Fr. Vox Abelido
Rev. Fr. Dennis Winston Ll. Soon
Post a Comment
Let us know what you think below: